Backend Software Engineer
Use your skills to help build a large scale micro-services infrastructure.
About the business and the role
Actionstep has one of the most comprehensive SaaS products on the market. With over 1 million lines of hand-written code (excluding libraries), this is one serious software application. Innovation is our core strength and we’re not afraid to lead the way.
The software and dev ops teams are based in Auckland and we have in-market offices in the USA, Canada, and the UK. Although we’ve been around for over a decade we still operate like a startup in terms of culture and energy.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be responsible for backend software development across multiple products and technologies and be part of our exciting new projects that are going to shake up the globe.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Working alongside our team of software engineers working in various modern web technologies in a polyglot environment building a large scale micro-services infrastructure
- Building APIs, database queries and business logic
- Leverage your considerable experience to get to grips with the current code base and work with the dev team on software architecture and best practices
- You should not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into some serious programming.
Skills and experience
- Ideally 5years+ commercial experience. Whether you’re experienced in PHP, C#, Java, Go, Node, Python or any other modern programming language - you’re the one we’re looking for!
- You will have the opportunity to work with large-scale, complex code building a highly scalable, extremely efficient SaaS web product used by thousands of users all over the globe.
- A history in business application development is a plus (i.e understanding of invoicing, crm etc) but not essential.
- A good understanding of backend infrastructure using AWS.
- Extensive software and database architecture experience.
- Fast learner. Ability to quickly understand complex technical environments.
- Great people and time management skills. Ability to organize and work within a team.
- You will either have English as a first language or near-native comprehension.
Job benefits and perks
- Working with a highly-talented and experienced team.
- Wear what you like to work.
- Take your birthday off.
- Friday afternoon socials and frequent team building events.
- Growth opportunities for your career.
- Excellent location close to the Viaduct, Britomart and the city centre.
- Funky office environment - converted penthouse apartments with balconies, kitchens and amazing city views.
- Relaxed and friendly team. Nobody takes themselves too seriously.